Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #3)

Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #3) - Santino Hassell,  Ais 4.5 StarsI'm just going to write this review for the whole series. It's not spoilery, so it's safe to read.Even though these books were far from perfect they sucked me in and didn't let go. Even now I am having a huge book hangover. I love all these characters. I was there with them through it all and it was one hell of a ride.I think most of you will agree with me that these books were damn long, and I mean retarded long. So long, that it was what made me be so hesitant at first to even pick them up, aside from the m/m factor. Thing is, they could be shorter. If they do some heavy duty editing it could cut out quite a bit, because I did notice that once Boyd got started with his analyzing (which I actually did like and looked forward too) it was still became quite repetitive at times. There was also some very heavy descriptions at times that could be done without. Even though the length could be seen as a negative point, I still love these books so much that I never wanted them to end. The other slightly negative point was the pacing, but not really. Actually I only minded this during the first one, which coincidentally was the longest book of the 4. It seemed that at times nothing was really getting done when you thought about it in regards to Janus anyway. It was just a very long setting up for the rest of the books, which do get more things done when it came to Janus and the Agency both. It was also somewhat predictable at times, but not anything that would put you off.I had been looking for a good book dealing with assassins for awhile so when a friend pointed this one out I ended up caving even though I was uncomfortable with the m/m aspect of the story since I had never read one before, and I'm so glad I did! This was exactly what I was looking for. Finally a book about assassins that get the job done have their problems but don't become mopey-emo and woe-be-gone attitude. They killed, accepted their actions and went on with their lives, while still retaining, and in Sin's case, discovering his humanity again.While this book did deal with the Agency, assassinations, terrorism and the like, the main focus were the relationships, both friendship and romantic, between the characters. How hard it was for these people to create real friendships and even find love and once found keeping it. It was beautiful to witness the growth of both, Boyd and Sin, individually and then together, not to mention all the side characters.Let me talk about the characters, because this is really where these books shine. Sonny and Ais were geniuses in making these characters come to life. Making them real, their interactions, their personalities, their strengths and weaknesses. I fell in love with ALL of them. Every single one of them were exceptionally well written. I don't know what else to write in regard them besides just incoherent gushing, because that's just awesome they all are.The other excellent selling point was the way the book was set up. It's written in third person, but different points of views. It's mainly Boyd and Sin of course but we get insight into the rest of them at times and that's really what made them so great. You get to see everything in all their different perspectives and draw your own conclusions.That ending was great. Do not click on that spoiler if you haven't read all 4 books! I think it's funny how the adults were the ones who managed to actually stay off the grid while all the 'kids' were easily found again. In my opinion I think after some very deep thinking and discussions between Sin and Boyd, I think they would eventually go back. They are unsatisfied and they always will be. Once you are in that kind of life and that's basically all you know how to do, there is nothing else and that's why Sin was like that. But I'm sure they would have contacted Emilio and Carhart before making any actual decisions.So if you are looking for a book about secret government agencies, kick ass assassins, missions, with some romance, death and gore thrown in. You should really read these. Don't let the length of the books intimidate you, they are worth it. I promise.