Tarnished: The St. Croix Chronicles

Tarnished - Karina Cooper If you like steampunk, murder mystery, action, some romance, and a bit of magic, then you'll definitely enjoy this book. The pacing throughout this novel was spot on, never a dull moment. Even when Cherry was out in London society instead of collecting, there was still enough going on to keep you interested at all times. Romance was believable and even though there are 2 guys she is attracted to, the triangle was well written. It didn't take away from the novel and both guys still remain a complete mystery, specially Compton. I'm pretty sure he is involved in what happened to Cherry very closely. The reason this is a 4 star and not a 5 is Cherry herself. She started getting on my nerves by the end of the book with her inability to believe in magic. She just HAD to explain everything away even when it was happening to her. She is a scientist she should have more of an open mind specially when it's staring at her RIGHT in the face. And the kidnapping of Betsy she could have handled that a bit better. She does realize her mistakes but it was pretty annoying to read how she was acting. I'll still be looking forward to the next in the series, I must know who that collector is, have my theories but really want to confirm it.A thanks to Avon for the ARC copy!